Patients are responsible for payment of their procedure. Although we accept most major health insurance plans, every insurance plan is different. For an estimate of what your insurance will cover and what will be your responsibility, please contact your insurance carrier directly. If you do not have insurance or need payment arrangements, feel free to call us (415) 440-1100 for payment options.
Before your day of surgery, we verify your eligibility with your insurance carrier and get authorization. We call to give you an estimate of charges or co-payment you are required to pay at registration. Cash, personal checks, and major credit cards will be accepted.
At registration on your day of surgery, we ask you to provide your insurance card, address and phone—information that will be used for billing your insurance within several days following your procedure. Please inform us if there are any changes to your address, employer or insurance, to avoid billing discrepancies that could end up with a collection agency.
After we receive your insurance payment, we will issue a bill from Eye Surgery Center of San Francisco for the patient responsibility indicated on your explanation of benefits from your insurance carrier. The Surgery Center fees include the cost of the facility usage, medical supplies, medication, staffing and recovery time. Your doctor will send you a separate bill for the surgical procedure.
You may also receive bills for the following: anesthesia treatment provided by the anesthesiologist, biopsy or lesion removal from the pathology lab, tests performed by the lab.
Out-of-Network Insurance Coverage
Eye Surgery Center of San Francisco is out-of-network with Cigna and United Healthcare. We will bill these carriers on your behalf for your procedure, and expect the following to occur:
- Once your claim is processed, your insurance carrier will send you an explanation of benefits form along with a check for payment of the services provided. The procedure(s) performed will be processed by your carrier according to the out-of-network benefits stated by your health plan. Eye Surgery Center of San Francisco will not receive any payments or a copy of the explanation of benefits.
- Once you receive the explanation of benefits and check, you are required to send payment to The Surgery Center in either of the following 2 ways:
- Signing over the insurance check to Eye Surgery Center of San Francisco and sending it along with the explanation of benefits, or
- Sending a personal check payable to Eye Surgery Center of San Francisco for the amount paid by your insurance along with the explanation of benefits.
- If you have secondary insurance, it is important that you include a copy of the explanation of benefits when you send us payment. We will not be able to bill the secondary insurance on your behalf without a copy of your primary insurance explanation of benefits.
- If you do not have secondary insurance, do not send payment for the patient responsibility indicated on the explanation of benefits. We will bill you after determining your final balance according to your co-insurance and deductible.
We will work with you fairly and responsibly regarding your account balance. For more details or questions regarding your account, billing or insurance matters, please call our billing office manager at (415) 440-1100.