Throughout the United States, more than 24.2 percent of Americans over 40 have cataracts, according to American Academy of Ophthalmology.
Here are nine more statistics:
- Almost 50 percent of U.S. residents over 75 have cataracts.
- Of Americans ages 40 and over, more than 2.7 million residents have glaucoma.
- Surgeons performed 48,229 corneal implants in the United States in 2013.
- Since 1961, surgeons have restored more than 1 million patients’ vision through a corneal implant.
- Almost 1.3 million Americans 40 and older are legally blind.
- Annually, there are nearly 2.4 million eye injuries in the United States.
- In 2010, surgeons performed nearly 800,000 refractive surgical procedures.
- In 2014, there were 19,216 active ophthalmologists in the United States.
- Worldwide, there were nearly 213,459 ophthalmologists in 2014.
Source: Becker’s ASC Review